Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Language class

So Montag (Monday) was the first day of class for our group at the Carl Duisberg Center. To prove my genius, I went to the wrong class. As we only talked in German about ourselves and never received a syllabus or mentioned the class number, I had no clue. I was surrounded by smart people all over the world, South Africa, Armenia, Spain, Chile and more. A post-doctorate student, architect, stem cell researcher and more. They all spoke German well and I could understand most of it, but it turned out that the class was too advanced for me.


After our first break, I found my correct class, received a reading and grammar booklet as well as a workbook and started reviewing grammer, not quite as glamorous and speaking about life in German, but very helpful. Since then I've seen my language improve and have had some better conversations with my host mother.


There's only two people from my group in my class. We've got a wide variety of countries represented in our class of 12. The best are a Kenyan and a Nigerian, who always talk out loud and laugh, from across the room. Good guys, who speak in either German or English, so I can follow along.
Here is a picture of the language center with myself and Lara, also from the University of Portland.

No comments: