Thursday, May 22, 2008

The 3 Castles

New story about the 3 Gleichen, meaning 3 of the same. These are 3 castles nearby Erfurt, just a short train and bike ride away. Today, I had until 6:30 free, so it was time to do some exploring. Riding by my too short, rickity bike from the town of Wandersleben (hikers life) I forged new paths, exhausted my legs and visited 2 of the 3 castles.

The first caslte was amazing. Up on a hill above a small town, fairly easy to get to, with me hiding my bike in some bushes while I went to the top. Great ruins and views, really cool, and well worth the trip alone. But there were still two other castles to explore, one close by and one farther away. I went for the farther away, more intact looking castle.

Little did I know that it would be a royal pain in the ass to get there, through rocky paths, up a forest hill, down a forest hill, through animal trails, in the middle of nowhere and finally up the huge hill it was one, circling the castle at least twice on the way up. The bike got heavier (already super heavy and clunky) and the legs got more tired. Had to take several breaks, but made it up finally to see a sign which said it was a private hotel and for guests only. Didn't stop me. I'd worked hard to get there, sweating away through the hills. I was disappointed with the castle. Not too much to see, hard to get to, nothing special and a bland inner courtyard with a empty restaurant.

But other than the castle being a letdown, it was an amazing trip. On the way into town I looked for something to eat, to energize the body. Nothing. The town had no shops. No grocery store, no kebab place, no drink store. I luckily found a magazine and post place, where I could buy a warm Fanta and a fake ice cream. Tasted amazing.

And that was the story of Justus meets the 3 castles, two personally.

A tired Justus at the first castle

Looking across to the third castle

Thuringen fields and the first castle I conquered

The cool looking castle which sucked

The third castle in the distance

No comments: