Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Back in the States

I've been back in the States for a few days now. I had an end of year seminar in NYC for 2 days and then I took the Chinatown bus to Boston to meet up with my family. I'm hanging out nearby Boston for a few weeks before starting another trip, this time through the USA, visiting friends and family, and relearning how to speak and write English correctly. I don't have a cell phone yet, but can be reached by email, jmcdoogle22@hotmail.com, or at my parents home.

The last month in Europe was amazing. From Croatia to Greece, via Montenegro and Albania was quite an adventure and one I want to continue. I loved the region, with Croatia being the best, and Montenegro the most expensive which was surprising as we lost power and water one day, which is commonplace there.

After Athens, and two wonderful Greek islands, we headed up to Bratislava, Slovakia. This underrated town is full of surprises, and is a lot better than the image of communist block houses across the river. There are funky statues around the city, a bridge that looks like a UFO, a great clock museum, and a cool castle up on the hill. We couch surfed there for a night and got to learn more about the city.

Next was Vienna for a couple days. This is an impressive city. When you see something, such as a palace that blows your mind, be prepared because more than likely, there is another one that is even better in Vienna, the capital of the last great empire. It was good to be back, to explore and do lots of walking, getting to know the city and see some of the Tour of Austria as well.

After Vienna, it was back to Erfurt for a couple days with my great roomates and friends, before meeting up with the other 74 participants in my program and flying back together to NYC.


Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna kicks ass

The watcher statue in Bratislava makes former communists smile
Going in style from Bratislava to Vienna, with no passport control

Last night with the roomates in Erfurt, Germany (still cold in mid July)

No comments: