Monday, January 26, 2009

A day at Midnight Espresso



I've been working at Midnight Espresso for a couple weeks now and will let you know what I've been up to there. This is what one website says about Midnight Espresso:

Midnight Espresso is Wellington's longest standing late night cafe, situated in one of Wellington's historic areas - Cuba Street. Midnight offers a diverse and colourful atmosphere, encouraged by staff, music and clientele.

Laid back and relaxing, Midnight is a great place to go just to have a coffee and read the paper, and of course sample some of the magnificent cuisine. They offer a range of predominately vegetarian counter and menu food, with awesome flavour and presentation to match.

Midnight Espresso are users and stockists of Havana coffee - NZ's only cuban coffee wholesalers. Also available are freshly cut and squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, vegan, vegetarian, and wheat-free food.


My day starts at 6am, when I get there to open up, do the cheese and milk orders and then get started on my baking. I whip up both sweet and savory muffins, making about 2-3 dozen of each, then I make enough hollandaise sauce for the day, then I make cheesy scones from scratch and get our bread set by mixing the flour, yeast, soymilk and maple syrup together to get the dough rising. After my baking is pretty much done, I start making our standard breaky sandwiches with croissants and bagels we get ordered in.

By that time, food orders start coming in and I"ll be cooking eggs and bacon etc as well as finishing up the sandwiches and then starting to work on some counter food. I'm often making vegan lasagnas, or veggie pizzas with a twist like the last Asian one I did. There are a few recipes I can follow if I want, or I pretty much just do what sounds good. Very flexible as to what I make. Just need to make several a day to keep the counter going and looking good.

I work until 4pm getting lots of things done and having a blast. Good coworkers, great music and fun food makes it a good job. I'm leaving in a week or so to go traveling so I'll miss the job, but I'm hoping to come back and work there in a couple months when I'm done traveling.

1 comment:

epicureindonesia said...

Justus baking...I'm so proud of you.