Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rab Island

I've been living in paradise the last few days.  The island of Rab, one of the many beautiful islands in Croatia has been a grand stay.  Very laid back and relaxed here, with perfect water temperatures and sunny days.  It's been a grand time, relaxing, swimming, reading and exploring the old town (built back in the day by some people called Romans).  Nice change of pace after bouncing around from the cities in Western Europe. 

The best way to find accommodation in Croatia is to simply walk around and ask at houses that have a blue Apartmani or Sobe sign (meaning they have  a room for rent).  So I hoofed it from the old town with the classical architecture and churches, down the coast of the island towards where my Slovenian family was staying (I surfed their couch in Ljubljana).  After a while I started asking at different residences and after being turned down a couple times, I found paradise.  I'm staying in a quiet, amazing house owned by a Croatian couple in their 80s.  He's a former doctor/professor/traveler who now writes poems and songs and books for fun.  She is a former nurse who loves to talk.  Been great hanging out with them and learning about the culture, as well as relaxing in their garden area, complete with outdoor kitchen, plenty of seats and the beach just steps away.  Perfect spot!  Already have extended my stay here.

Life is good!  Enjoy some pictures of beautiful Rab:

Smiling as always

The four towers as seen from the ferry on the way in

Best view in town

One way to make your name stand out

Walking down the small alleys in the old town

I hope I have a statue like this upon my demise (light years away)

Rab!  Love it!

No comments: