Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Turkish Delight

Kabak, my soon to be home for an indefinite time

Man on the street: “Do you like carpets?”

Me: “Say, what?”

Man on the street: “Do you like carpets? I have a friend who gives you a good deal.”

Oh, Istanbul. You are a fun city. When I play tourist, I get all sorts of random conversations. It's an entertaining city as is, and then when I'm offered carpets right outside the Blue Mosque, with no carpet stores in sight, life is beautiful in the Middle East (or technically Europe, since I was on the European side of the Bosphorus).

It's been a grand time exploring the city, these last 9 days. After almost 5 months of travel, it's nice to settle in a bit in one place and not bounce all over with the backpack. I'm definitely a fan of the area I live in, Kadikoy, where there is always something going on, cheaper prices and mostly local people, of which I know a few already. I've been staying in a sweet location, right in the middle of Kadikoy, sharing an apartment with Aysun, another fun loving, worldly adventurer from couch surfing.

The plan was to come and find a cooking job for 3 months here in Istanbul, but the plans have changed. I found out about a paradise in the south of Turkey in a small area called Kabak, where people go to chill out for a while at camps nearby the sea, right in the hills. It is an amazing place which is popular with several of the people I have met, and through Aysun, my apartment-mate, I was connected with a couple of the camps and found one which I could volunteer at. Volunteering means you work a little in exchange for living there, which sounds just perfect for me, as I'm more about having a great life experience than making money right now. So, I am heading down to Reflections (www.reflectionscamp.com) to work for an indefinite amount of time, most likely around one month of fun in paradise, relaxing, cooking and living the good life. Sounds perfect to me! Can't wait to get down there and get into the mix.

So next time you hear from me, it should entail stories of beach life, waterfalls, swimming into caves, hiking and more. The adventures continue!

Oh, and Go Blue! Dodgers in the World Series, wait for it.

Some last days in Istanbul pictures:
Enjoying the cruse along the Bosphorus

Bosphorus Bridge!

Me touching the food you will be eating in restaurants and loving it

The Galata Tower, highest point around in all it's majesty
 

No comments: