Saturday, July 29, 2017

Getting in touch with my inner yogi



This picture, taken from nearby my first yoga retreat shows the grass being greener on one side. The question is, which side did I end up on after 4 days and 3 nights of communal living, epic yoga sessions, Indian religion, yoga theory and meditation?  If you know me, you believe I found enlightenment. Let's just say, I'm well on the way, with lots of great insights from these days up in the mountains of Transylvania with no connection to the outside world. Just me, nature and similar minded people, focusing on making ourselves better. 

My traveling partner, Cristina, had been to this yoga retreat a year ago and wanted to go again. It had been in the back of my mind that I needed to get more into yoga and try out a retreat sometime, so this was a no brainer, I was going. The retreat was located up in the mountains above a small village, with no actual address, rather being the building behind the cemetery, behind the church. A very local, amazing experience with yoga practices twice a day, yoga theory daily, chanting and meditation mixed in with two vegetarian meals. Everyone chipped in what money they could and we cooked, cleaned, ate and slept as a community. From the start, people were at ease and made for a fully welcoming experience. 

While I had done yoga before, I had never done ashtanga yoga. This is a whole new level, taking the sequences and making it not only a spiritual exercise but a full workout as well. Surrounded by 16-20 others upstairs, the sweat poured out and the muscles burned as we went through familiar moves and moves that didn't seem possible. Some of the craziest twists I've done as well as my first head stands and full back bends. We were blessed with two amazing teachers who gave us confidence and strength. After just a few days, my firm was better, my body stronger and my mind clearer. On my last practice, I felt the best, re-energized and at peace after. Can't beat that. 

Here's a couple more photos of the area. No yoga photos, as why would you have a camera around when you're there to ground yourself and focus on improving  the body and mind?  But yeah, look up ashtanga yoga for some fun postures and twists. Full workout baby!












No comments: