Wednesday, June 12, 2013

BAVARIA!!!

I've been bouncing around Bavaria for a while now, from Bamberg, to Munich, to Nuremberg, and today back up to Bamberg.  Great vibes down here.  Quite fun to reconnect with old friends, and see familiar cities.  We've been hiking in the hills, and swimming in the lakes, as well as exploring each city and enjoying some fine sunsets.

It was great to catch up with Anisa, an old friend from studying in Cologne.  We had a great time all over Munich and got to meet up with her sister, Teuta, a few times too.  Teuta showed me around Albania when I visited a few years back, so it was fun to talk about the crazy times down there, and how I ate a whole platter of cow tongue then.  The food is still as interesting as ever, as the Germans find ways to use the whole animal and serve it in new methods.  Mainly dozens of variations of sausage, but I've seen my fair share of large pork knuckle down here as well.

Still eating lots of pretzels here in Germany, perhaps my favorite food.  They go well alone, with beer, as a sandwich, as a roll, as a pillow.  Tasty!

Been able to get in some swimming in Munich, to try and keep the body in decent shape.  Loads of walking and eating carbs isn't cutting it.  Quite nice to get the upper body in action again.  Not exactly Michael Phelps out there, but I'm still breathing which means it was a success.

Me outside the old Town Hall, on an island with bridges on both sides in Bamberg

At the touristy Hofbrauhaus munching on a huge pretzel

Turkish protest in Munich.

Munich having fun with some old classic buildings

Munich statues

Rocking Gypsy music on the streets of Munich

The English gardens on the weekend are always packed with fun

Germany!

The band I tried out for, and didn't make the cut.  I play a wicked harmonica

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Loving the photos and updates! Makes me want to go to Germany.