Saturday, June 1, 2013

Deutschland!

I'm back!  Back in good old Germany, my home for one year back in the day.  Feels great to be back speaking German, seeing old friends, eating cheap kebabs, reliving the memories and living it up.  Definitely one of my favorite countries out there, and just a few days into it, it's already becoming one of my favorites from this trip.

I took 3 slow trains from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf to visit 3 friends from my year in Germany.  Lucky them they are still here, legal and working and living the German life.  Making me a mite jealous, as it's a fun life over here.  Great to have a mini-reunion and celebrate David's doctorate.  Not too often you get to have a beer with a freshly appointed doctor.  On Thursday morning, after a massive brunch, Sannie and Becky and I took on the city and walked all over as I figured out my rideshare to Erfurt.  Hopped in a car with two 20 year old and off we went on the 4 hour drive on the German Autobahn. 

The Autobahn is amazing as the cars here are made to drive fast, and they get to drive fast.  We were in a tiny French Renault Twingo, and definitely were not the fastest out there, but still made the trip in a good clip, especially when racing against another Renault Twingo. 

Back in Erfurt with the old flatmate, Stefan feels like the old days.  Great times kicking it and rocking the city.  Great to be back, seeing old haunts, other friends and enjoying a local bratwurst that is one of the best things out there.  Tis the good life!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Sounds pretty fun, Justus! I'm heading over to Germany for the first time (not counting the 15 minutes I spent in a car) in a few months. Uber excited.