Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mostar, Bosnia

The life is good in Bosnia.  I've been here 4 days and am loving the culture.  Very friendly people here, with such a mix of religions all together.  Right now I can hear the call to prayer from the mosques and see two churches.  Things seem good here, which is nice to see after all the fighting at the end of the 20th century.  There are definitely still signs of the war here, with many buildings still showing bullet holes ad some stand as barely a ruin, right next to renovated houses.

I've been staying in Mostar, getting to know the people and the area.  It'll be my 4th night here, which for a small city is not too many days. Feeling at home here.  Good people, good prices (they seem so cheap after Croatia) and a cold river to cool off in.

I had an amazing day rafting yesterday. Some awesome rapids, amazing canyons, and a fun crew.  The water was the perfect temperature on a hot day , and was clean enough to drink (something I've been doing a lot of lately).  We rafted for over 4 hours, with some stops along the way so we could slide down some rapids ourselves.  Don't worry mom, we had life jackets as helmets on.  

Another day trip was to a Dervish monastery built into the mountain at the source of a river.  Quite nice trout at the nearby restaurant and it was unique to be standing next to the  Muezzin as he sang the call to prayer.

Right, I just finished my espresso for .50 and the waiter just a brought me some meat burek fresh from the oven.  Time to have a late afternoon snack.  Loving Bosnian life.

No comments: