Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy April!

What's happening everyone?  The autumn has officially hit Melbourne, meaning grey skies and some rain.  It's that time of year when the northern hemisphere starts talking about great spring days, and my days of playing beach volleyball and relaxing in the sun are winding down.  Funny hearing about the warm days in the US, which are the same temperature as our cold days down here. 

The last few weeks have been pretty damn good.  Moved into a badass house with two great housemates in a great location; started a new job at the front desk of a hostel; been busy out and about with friends and enjoying everything this amazing city has to offer.  Just last night a bunch of friends and I had a private tour of the Melbourne Observatory, on a night that ended up being not so clear, and yet we managed to learn a lot, laugh a bunch and be entertained.  Finally learning some astronomy, and enjoying looking out of a huge telescope.

As a traveler, it's always been an idea to work at a hostel, be surrounded by the world and enjoy a loose work environment.  It's finally happened, and I do get paid to talk with backpackers and give them tips on the great city I live in.  Despite a shoddy booking/check in system, I'm having fun, learning some new tricks of the hotel industry and beefing up the resume with new skills.  The hours are quite varied, with some night shifts (literally working the whole night and getting off at sunrise) some days, and some middle of the day til midnight shifts.  All over the place, but it's good money, and depending on the hour, I get paid more thanks to Australia's work policies.  For example, I make more money working between 12am and 7am, than I would during normal working hours.  And the rate goes up on Saturday and Sundays, so let's get those weekend shifts and let the money pour in!

The comedy festival is still going on, and so far I've seen two performances, with another lined up in a couple hours.  Getting my laughs in, and keeping those laugh wrinkles in good shape.

As with Melbourne street art, life is pretty thumbs up!


And I found where the sidewalk ends.  Thanks Shel Silverstein!

No comments: