Sunday, August 30, 2020

Days hiking the wilderness



For quite a while now, I have wanted to do part of the Pacific crest Trail. It is one of the most iconic trails in the West, going from Mexico to Canada, and it runs right through Oregon, often where I have been hiking. To me, it sounded fun to put some miles on the trail, testing out the through hiking where are you bring all your food and gear and just hit the trail. Quite the test of endurance of both body and mind. Plus the scenery would be amazing. So with 2020 being such a wild year, and my European trip postponed, what better time to set off on an isolated hike for a week through the wilderness?

The plan was to hike from Mount Hood nearby me in Portland 100 miles south over a week of blissful hiking. I planned it out and rides to and from the trails, and set out last Saturday for the adventure. So cool to be on the trail at last, Ready to go as far as I wanted and run the show. I set out with Timothy lake as my end destination just over 20 miles away, feeling ambitious from the start. I would get water once along the way, and right before the lake, meaning I had to carry a decent amount of water with me, as often on this trail water would be spread out with miles between chances to fill up. 

Here are some highlights from day 1:
All packed and ready to go and set out from Mt Hood

First trail crossing. Still headed south with Hood behind


11 miles in and Hood looks pretty far away


The old PCT logo is still out there as a marker sometimes


Little Crater Lake, known for its clarity and taste. I can attest to both 


First night campsite overlooking the se set over Timothy Lake


20 + miles deserves a dip!




No comments: