Thursday, October 4, 2007

Erfurt


On Tuesday, Oktober 2nd, 2007, I moved to Erfurt, my new home for the next ten months. I'll be going to the Erfurt Gastro Berufsbildungswerk, in other words a well respected cooking school. The people from my program have said it is a great cooking school and is hard to get into. I must thank the German government for that.

The countryside changed a lot leaving Köln. From the big city with a huge river, to lots of open fields, grass, trees, some hills and not a heck of a lot. They call Thüringen, my state, the green heart of Deutschland. Great for hiking and relaxing and it is a popular spot for German tourists to come. A little bit of a change for me from the city of Köln, but it looks to be a great place.

Erfurt is dominated by its huge cathedral and church, sitting together on top of a hill looking over the city. I go from one amazing cathedral in Köln to two amazing relgious buildings at the heart of the city. There are lots of cool buildings throughout Erfurt, and the facades on most buildings are picture worthy. They have the longest bridge in Europe with houses on both sides so it doesnt seem like you are on a bridge. It is called the Merchants Bridge as it used to have only shops along it.

My apartment is near the train station and is on the small and dirty side. But that should soon be changed as next week Ill be moving upstairs to a new, bigger room. Im hoping it will be a little bit cleaner. Its a good location and close to everything in the city. There is a bar/cafe downstairs and a kebab place next door. So far I havent seen a roomate yet, but he is rumored to exist. And I might be getting another one today.

I have a meeting with my cooking school today. Ill find out when my classes will start, perhaps tomorrow, and what subjects Ill be taking. I should be placed with a tutor, someone to show me around the school and help me get started there. The program helps out a lot and makes it easier for people to move to new cities without being too alone.

Ill get pictures up soon. I have to figure it out as Im on a different computer now, a German keyboard with lots of things out of place, so my punctuation might not be as good as normal.

No comments: