Sunday, November 4, 2007

Dresden

Dresden Semper Opera House


I'm in Dresden now, visiting a couple of friends in my program. 75 of us all over German and I can pretty much just crash on the couch in most of the large cities in Germany which is great.

Dresden is much bigger than Erfurt. Got a lot more sites to see, from the famous Frauenkirche, to a huge palace full of musuems, to the Semp Opera House. Lot's of cool touristy things to see, but also some smaller off the normal path places as well.
Eliza and I in front of the Frauenkirche. We're small because all Germans back up to take photos.



I got away from the touristy side of Dresden and went exploring with my friends in the older part of town, finding a shop full of every type of mustard possible, from strawberry to fig to rosemary. Got to try a bunch, and most were quite good. Garlic was my favorite. Next door was a shop selling intricate German carvings that were selling for over 600 Euros. And the next shop dubs itself as the most beautiful milkery in the world. Praising the cow would be an understatement. For a lactose intolerant person, it was even interesting, but I passed on buying any cheese or homemade milk.





Dresden at night is amazing, with all of the lights reflecting off the Elbe River. The streets are well lit and already have a lot of Christmas lights up preparing for the large Christmas Market that will open soon.

I took the train here, but will be going back with my old roomates from my first apartment in Erfurt. Both of them live in the area and were home for the weekend, and one of them is driving back and offered to pick us up. Looking forward to my first trip on the Autobahn, zipping along towards Erfurt.

No comments: