Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tree planting

Since it's way wicked to be back in Wellington, I figured it was time to plant some roots. Not mine, but rather a tree's roots. I was at a wind power concert last week and got a free tree, just a wee little baby one. I worked 5 days straight and had no time to plant it, but on my first day off, that was exactly what I did.

A Rata, is a native tree of New Zealand. Like most countries these days, NZ is trying to plant just native trees and return it to how it used to be. of course they can't get rid of everything like the cows, sheep and vineyards which make the most money for the country. But with planting trees like the rata, steps are taken in the right direction. And yours truly is taking a couple steps, making up for all the breathing going on down in NZ. Check out more info on my tree at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosideros_robusta


Here are a few pics of me planting the tree, tucked away in a park with a great view of the city, the water and the hills. Should last a while before anyone notices it there and hopefully it will stay for a long long time.
My baby rata tree in it's bag admiring it's new home

The planter

Mr. Rata loving the view

No comments: