Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Living it up in Bishkek with my new felt baseball hat


So far, Kyrgyzstan is amazing.  Definitely off the beaten path, the prices are cheap, the Russian influence is everywhere and kinda cool, the bazaar is huge and full of everything, and the view of the snow covered mountains in the distant makes you fall in love with nature all over again.  And tomorrow we are driving for 10 hours through the mountains, to a small town where apples grow rampant.  As much apples as we want to eat!  And for my friend Eliza, loads of apples to study, collect seeds and run tests on the trees.  It's going to be amazing!
Sam the Canadian, Ania, Eliza and I making new friends in the street

It didn't start off amazing, with the flight arriving at 4:45am without my backpack on it.  I'd had a 10 hour layover at the Istanbul airport (3 movies) and apparently they put my backpack in a far off corner and forgot about it.  But I wasn't the only one, 16 bags from my flight went missing.  Luckily they found them and placed them on the next flight which arrived today at 4:45am, 24 hours later.  But it all worked out and I've got everything, including a signed waiver releasing the airline of responsibility stating I "received baggage safe and sound."

I shared a taxi into town, with an amazing sunrise over the mountains, and after getting lost on the way (normal in taxis here from my two trips so far), we found our guesthouse where I met up with my friends Eliza and Ania.  This is our apple crew for the 3 weeks here in Kyrgyzstan.  Later on when meeting up with two of my Dutch friends here as well, our apple crew gained two new members, so now there will be 5 of us researching apples and living the good life in the mountains.
Colorful slippers at the bazaar

The bazaar is crazy with tiny rows packed full of anything imaginable from clothes to silk to cheap kitchen things.  Loads of colours and smells in there, with people everywhere.  The bargaining didn't work out as well as planned as they apparently don't always care about going lower and just let you walk off.  I eventually scored a great Adidas knockoff jacket to keep me warm in the mountains. 

The driving is madness here with a red light meaning slowly ease through at 3mph.  The sidewalks are pretty bumpy with tree trunks, potholes, open sewers and more.  Loads of Russian cars around which look awesome.  One for sale at $1,100 almost had me pull out my credit card.  So cool!
I want that car.  Supercar capabilities of carrying anything

The History Museum is ginormous with impressive statues and murals about the rise and fall of communism.  The place just seethes power and influence and was surprisingly full of students walking around getting some education. 

Life is good.  More to come with adventures out of the city, in the mountains, in the apple forests with great people and nature.
This is how school kid dress in Bishkek.  Seriously.  They all look like they are in a wedding party

Me famous!

Main square in Bishkek

No comments: