Thursday, January 10, 2008

Feuerkugel

Life at the restaurant is going good. After 4 days, I have a good idea of what goes into most dishes and what I can do to help. Been sauteeing up a lot of stuff and helping with the plating. Was doing more prep work the first couple days, but now am doing more cooking which is good.

The kitchen has two parts, one for the meat, and one for sauteeing all the veggies and pasta dishes as well as the salads. There is always a chef on the meat side, someone who has been around a while, while the younger guys (where I fall in) work the other side, making salads, sides, baked dishes, potatoes and such.

A great perk to the job is getting to eat whatever I want. After seeing all the big plates of food go out, I get to choose whatever. So far I have been just choosing based on what looks good. Then I find out after what I eat. So far what tasted like turkey turned out to be a suckling pig and a Rostbrätel comes from a pigs neck. Interesting, but very tasty. Most of the dishes come served with Thüringer Klöse, local potato dumplings that are typical of the region. Very filling and delicious.

Apart from locking my keys in my clothes locker, squirting a pea puree all over my white chefs jacket and wall and having to peel a lot of vegetables it's been a successful, fun week. And still one more day left. Hope to finish with a somewhat white jacket tomorrow.

No comments: