Monday, January 28, 2008

My last week (pics below}

In the last two weeks, I was in Frankfurt for my teacher training, then home for a day in Erfurt, before heading off for a day in Bamberg, then my mid year seminar in Munich followed by a weekend trip to Salzburg. It was a great two weeks, full of travels, adventures and meeting up with friends, as well as speaking a lot of English.

Munich was a great time, spent with 24 other participants in my program. We met with an official from the state government (very biased towards Bavaria, as most are); went to a great opera at the opera house; watched people surf in a man made wave in the English Gardens; explored a couple famous museums; walked through Olympic Park, seeing the soccer and swimming stadiums; and got to try several types of local beer, in the numerous beer halls.

Our program put us up at a funky Catholic hostel/halfway house. Interesting place, but in a great location. After being together in Cologne for 2 months and then spending the last 4 months spread out at different schools, it was a blast to see everyone again. Most people have had positive experiences, but several are changing cities for their internships. Makes me glad to stay in one place and get to know one city really well.

After our seminar, I headed down to Salzburg with 3 other friends, to revisit the place where I studied for 2 separate summers. Apart from being cold as hell when we got there, it was great to be back and interesting to see the city in the winter. There were noticeable changes in the amount of water and tourists, both being lower, and the fountains were covered in glass for the winter. I relived my days there, having my favorite bier (Stiegl) and sausage (a Bosna), both of which are only in the Salzburg region. We climbed up to the fortress, spending several hours in the museums, halls and enjoying the view of the alps and the entire city. And I cant leave out going to the Augistiner Monestary, which has been brewing beer since the 1600s. It was just as great as before, although the beer garden was closed for winter.

Now I’m back in Erfurt, ready to finish up my teacher training (missed the 2nd half as I was in Munich, rather than Frankfurt) and then start teaching as well as continuing to work in my restaurant, Feuerkugel.

No comments: