Thursday, February 23, 2017

Lake Titicaca

At over 3800m, Lake Titicaca is impressive right there. Then with the scenery, color of the water and the friendly people in Bolivia, it is a darn outright stunning spot to visit. It's my last stop in Bolivia, and a good one to finish on.

Unlike the more popular Cocacabana, the small town which is the main place of entry to the Bolivian side, is not all sand and party. Surrounded by mountains, and full of hotels, this town pumps tourists from the world out onto the lake and to the Isla del Sol, the place where Incan mythology began.

Along with my two traveling companions,  Barak and Dan from Israel, we set off on a very full, slow ferry out to the island. Took 2.5 hours to the north part of the island where the Templo del Sol is. Quite the long, windy ride stuck on top of the boat. We hiked to the Sacred Rock, saw the sacrificial table  (was there a red hint?) and explored the awesome ruins of the temple. Those Incans were good builders!

The other two had to head back to catch the boat back, while I hiked to the highest point on the end of the island. Great views all around, with Peru in sight as well as the snow covered royal mountains of Bolivia. Very peaceful up there. Then it was time to head across the island to the south.

A steep, long path goes across the island, often looking like the Great Wall of China in its length and ability to see it from afar. Great sights on both sides, and I had a good chat with a local youngster while overlooking the middle village. I learned that quinoa and corn are the main two crops, and also learned those and potatoes are the only crops I understood in Spanish.

Reaching the southern end, I worked my way through a few hostels til I got a great price of $4.50 for a private room. Right outside was a cafe with a rocking chair at the table overlooking the lake. Needless to say, I stayed there the whole night, watching the sun set and eating a huge plate of trout. And that was day 1 on the island.

Day 2 entailed hiking to the southernmost end for more ruins, relaxing, chatting up some English girls and eating more trout. Then another show ride back, to stay 1 more night in Cocacabana. I tried camping, but 15 minutes after my tent was up, it began raining. So I'm at a vegetarian hostel, and falafel is on the menu tonight. Well done Bolivia, well done. Tomorrow Peru.

No comments: