Thursday, October 9, 2008

Driving on the left side of the road

View on the drive down the mountain to Wellington

Wellington!

Cable Car from the Botanical Gardens down to the city

I got to drive for the first time on the left side of the road. Completely different. Everything is all thrown off, with me looking in the wrong place for the mirrors and suddenly having 2/3 of the car to my left instead of a window for me to place my arm on. But I’ve driven a couple times and haven’t had any accidents or anything too crazy happen. Just gotta keep reminding myself to stay on the left side and it’s starting to feel natural, although turning at an intersection is still weird.

Been exploring Wellington each day. Pretty sweet city and it looks awesome when the sun is out and the wind isn’t blowing anyone away. The lampposts serve two purposes, the first being something to hold on to when the wind is too strong, and the second is light. Took the cable car ride up to the botanical gardens. Couple stops on the way at a university and a neighborhood. Not bad to take a 100 year old, red, tourist trap cable car up to your house.

I’ve got an apartment lined up to move into in a great location. Right where I wanted it. Just have to wait 2 weeks to move in. But I’ve got friends to stay with, so all is well and I’m covered till then. The apartment is on a hilly neighborhood overlooking the city, similar to San Francisco. 3 minutes up the hill are the start of numerous trails, plus a great lookout of the city higher up. One of the main streets with restaurants, shops and bars is just 3 minutes away. Down the hill and 5 minutes away is the waterfront. It’s all going to be there, plus I’m inheriting lots of furniture and a tent, so I’ll be set.

So far I’ve had two job offers from restaurants. Both would be decent, but aren't what I'm looking for, so I'm still out there looking. But being 2 for 2 at the two places I'd been to is pretty good.

No comments: